U.S. Colt Vickers Model of 1915

Right side of the U.S. Colt Vickers Model of 1915 on the Mark IV tripod shown with the condensing hose and tin lined water box denoted by the white stripe.

Much has been written about the sad state of affairs concerning the history of early machine gun development and acceptance by the military in the United States in the early part of the 20th century.  While there was great experimentation going on due to the advent of the industrial revolution, many of the great American firearm inventors of the time such as Hiram Maxim, Isaac Lewis and Laurence Benét sought acceptance of their ideas overseas; and it was the Europeans who embraced them.  The United States, always slow on the uptake, did conduct tests and trials but could hardly ever make up their minds due to politics, lack of appropriated money and no real perceived threat or need.  Though not officially adopted, the U.S. Navy used the Colt Automatic Gun Model of 1895 designed by John Browning with some degree of success.  The U.S. Army adopted the heavy Maxim gun, which was designated as the Model of 1904, with a total of 287 guns being produced with the first 90 being made by Vickers, Sons & Maxim in England and the remaining 197 guns made by Colt.  The army later adopted the Automatic Machine Rifle Model of 1909 (Benét-Mercié) with 670 guns being produced by both Springfield Armory and Colt being adopted by the U.S. Army and more production were also purchased by the U.S. Navy.  The U.S. also had 353 Savage Lewis guns chambered in the .303 British round for use along the Mexican Border in action against Poncho Villa.  All in all, not a very impressive national machine gun arsenal for the U.S. military in the early 1900s.

By 1913 the U.S. began to realize how vastly under-armed in automatic weapons it was and started a new series of tests.  The new improved version of the Maxim gun, now called the Vickers, was the clear winner.  The Vickers was based on the same operating principle as the old Maxim except the toggle joint action was reversed, spent cartridge cases were ejected through the bottom rather than through an ejection port in the front and the overall weight of the gun was reduced.

Left side of the U.S. Colt Vickers Model of 1915. The tripod data plate is located on the trailing leg of the Mark IV tripod and also secures the leather strap that holds the three legs together when folded for transport. Also note the flattened foot on the rear leg that differentiates it from its British counterpart.

In January of 1919, Captain John S. Butler of the Office of the Chief of Ordnance, Engineering Division, wrote a comprehensive report on the adoption, procurement, field tests and parts failures entitled The Vickers Machine Gun Model of 1915, Caliber .30, Water-Cooled.  In his seventy plus page report, Butler writes, “The Board of Ordnance & Fortifications held a meeting on March 15, 1913 to consider the adoption of a new type of machine gun…” He continues with, “The Board convened for the competitive test of automatic machine guns at Springfield Armory on September 15, 1913.  Seven makes of automatic machine guns were considered and tried out.  The Board consisted of two officers of the Infantry, one of the Cavalry, one of the Field Artillery and one of the Ordnance Department.  This report will summarize the performance of only three most important guns submitted to the test.  The Lewis gun during the endurance test had 206 jams and malfunctions, 35 broken parts, 15 parts not broken but requiring replacement as against respectively 23, 0, 0, for the Vickers gun and 59, 7, 0 for the Automatic Machine Rifle .30, Model of 1909, Benét-Mercié.

“The Board concluded, after careful consideration of the data collected, together with the knowledge of the suitability of the various designs of machine guns gained by observation during the test, that the Vickers Machine Gun and the Benét-Mercie machine rifle were the only two types sufficiently serviceable to warrant their entry into a field test.  The following is quoted from the recommendations of the Board. ‘The Board is of the opinion that, with the exception of the Vickers gun, none of the other guns submitted showed sufficiently marked superiority for the military service, in comparison with the service Automatic Machine Rifle to warrant further consideration of them in the field test.  The Board is of the unanimous opinion that the Vickers rifle caliber gun, light model, stood the most satisfactory test.  As to the merits of the Vickers gun there is no question – it stood in a class by itself.  Not a single part was broken nor replaced.  Nor was there a jam worthy of the name during the entire series of tests.  A better performance could not be desired.’”

The business end of the Colt Vickers. Note that the muzzle attachment does not have the armored cone deflector as found on later models of the British Vickers. The steam condensing hose uses a double spring clip to attach to the steam port on the water jacket and is the same device that is used on Browning Model of 1917s.

As a result of these initial tests in 1913 and the subsequent field tests conducted in 1914, the Board unanimously approved the type for the Army.  In 1915, funds were secured for an initial order of 125 guns to be made by Colt’s Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company and the gun was designated as the Model of 1915.  In 1916, more money was made available and an additional order for 4,000 Vickers manufactured by Colt was placed along with 960 pack outfits and accompanying spare parts and accessories even though the first order of 125 guns had not yet been made.

Colt, however, was not prepared to immediately tool up production on the Vickers for the U.S. Army.  They had an order to produce Vickers for the Russians that they were behind on and were busy making other weapons as well including the M1911 .45 caliber semiautomatic pistol.  There were also minor modifications and changes in design that needed to be worked out and approved.  The Vickers was a relatively complicated gun to make.  When the United States entered World War I in April 1917, not a single Colt Vickers Model of 1915 had been delivered though work was in progress.

Hot on the heels of all this was the push to accept and produce the American designed Browning water-cooled machine gun, which would become known as the Model of 1917, which Colt was also tooling up production for.  The Browning Model of 1917 would replace the Vickers as the Army wanted an American designed gun as its main heavy machine gun and the Browning design had fewer and less complicated parts making it more efficient to produce.

The bottom of the water jacket end cap shows the gun’s data between and behind the water drain plug on the left and the steam condensing port on the right, which includes the serial number of the gun (6507) and the U.S. patent numbers and dates. Note the serial number and the aligning marks are on the water jacket as well as the end cap.

Colt finally started producing Vickers guns in late 1917 in the .30 caliber model and in 1918 expanded production to include the .30 caliber aircraft and then the 11mm aircraft models.  By mid 1918, Colt Vickers guns started to be shipped overseas.  The first twelve divisions arriving in France were issued the French Hotchkiss Model of 1914 machine gun though they had been trained back in the States using the Colt Automatic Gun Model 1895, Maxim Model of 1904 and the few U.S. Vickers that were available.  It wasn’t until the next ten divisions sailed for France in May and June of 1918 that were equipped with Colt Vickers.  The next twelve divisions were supposed to be equipped with the new Browning Model of 1917 but spare parts shortages prevented that.  By August 1918, thirteen divisions were using the Colt Vickers.

In all, 12,125 Colt Vickers Model of 1915 ground guns were produced.  Of that total 2,888 were converted to aircraft guns leaving 9,237 infantry ground guns.  7,653 were issued to the American Expeditionary Forces either in France or on their way to France.  With normal loss due to war damage there remained after the war about 8,000 Colt Vickers Model of 1915 ground guns in the U.S. inventory.  These guns were held in reserve until World War II when 500 guns were sent to the Dutch East Indies and several hundred more were sent to the Philippines.  These guns were ultimately lost or captured by the Japanese.  The U.S. also sent about 7,000 Colt Vickers, plus ammunition, to Great Britain under Lend-Lease.  In the dark early days of the war, the British Vickers production was busy turning out guns to equip their regular army especially after the huge loses of equipment at Dunkirk.  The U.S. made Colt Vickers were relegated to the British Home Guard for national defense should that very real invasion emergency arise.  The U.S. Vickers were painted with a two inch wide red stripe to differentiate the U.S. caliber .30-06 guns from the British Vickers .303 caliber guns.  The red stripe was painted on the feedblock cover, around the mouth of the feedblock and on the lock (bolt).  This pretty much depleted all Colt Vickers on hand in the United States inventory at the outbreak of World War II.

Page 1 2