There are a number of defense expositions in Central and South America. The addition of Expodefensa in Bogota, Colombia has been well received, and it is quickly becoming a mainstay show. It is a bi-annual show that has strong regional attendance and is heavily attended by the Colombian military groups. Their buyers and decision makers are evident, from discussions SADJ had with the vendors. Many other military officers from South American countries were in attendance, from Argentineans to Venezuelans. We found this to be a very successful show.
Expodefensa will be held next on 4-6 December, 2017, because COGES took over this show and wants to get the show into a 2-year cycle opposite their flagship Eurosatory show in Paris, which occurred in June of 2016 and is next 11-15 June of 2018.
Stated purpose from the show promoters:
The Expodefensa Concept
Expodefensa 2017 is an international exhibition of specialized nature and point of reference for Latin America in terms of technological development and innovation for Defense and Security Forces (in air, land and naval domains).
• To create a space for interaction between both national and international Military and Police forces and their suppliers, which will present the latest and most innovative developments in the national and international Defense and Security industry;
• To present and strengthen technological development in the fields of Defense and Security, and Colombian and Regional military self-sufficiency;
• To be a place allowing clients and suppliers to make contacts and strengthen existing relationships;
• To position Colombia as a major player in this field, being the focus of large-scale cooperative projects that bring about the development of both the Defense and Security sector and national industry;
• To strengthen and increase the participation of national industry, especially of the Colombian SMEs (Small and Medium Size Enterprises), contributing to self-sufficiency and strategic independence.
The best way to judge whether to exhibit or attend a show, is in the numbers, along with the “Buzz” among attendees and trade show personnel. Expodefensa certainly has been growing, and has a lot of momentum. There were 232 Exhibitors from a total of 26 countries, with 66% of the exhibitors being internationals:
List of Exhibiting Countries 2015:
Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, Peru, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States, and Uruguay.
Other interesting statistics:
• 10,390 professional visitors from 35 countries;
• 86 Colombian VIPs;
• 55 Official Delegations from the following countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, France, Honduras, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Russia, Santa Lucia, Spain, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, and Uruguay.